Monday, March 26, 2012

No pictures, just thoughts.

My parents are visiting this week. Before they got here, I spent a lot of time planning what we would do each day and what I would show them. As time goes on and we see more things together, I am realizing that the most important thing to all of us isn't seeing the tourist attractions in Barcelona. On the contrary, we are much more concerned with spending valuable time with each other. I have enjoyed taking them around the city, but my favorite moments have been going out to dinner or going to the bar and just talking. They are two people who love me unconditionally and see my potential, even when I fail to see it myself. I am grateful to have them here this week and will miss them when they leave.

Tonight, we had dinner with my host family. I loved getting to spend the time withe everyone. The food was very good, and we enjoyed the company very much. We played with my host siblings and drank wine with my host parents. Although there were certainly some language barriers, I think that everyone learned a lot from each other. We talked a lot about the politics in the United States and Spain, and it was interesting to compare our health care and education systems. I found myself constantly switching between Spanish and English and sometimes forgetting what language I was supposed to speak, but a good meal and good friends is universal. 

Tonight was a great night, and I can't wait to go to the Dali museum in Figueres tomorrow with my parents. More pictures and details about the week to come soon. Good night! 

No comments:

Post a Comment