Friday, May 25, 2012

Night of the Museum, Beach, and Tapas

Saturday, May 19, was Night of the Museums in Barcelona and a few other European cities. This means that museums offer free entrance from 7:00 pm - 1:00 am. My friends and I went to La Pedrera, also known as Casa Mila, which is one of Antonio Gaudi's most famous buildings. Gaudi started constructing the building in 1905 and finished in 1910. The building has been declared a World Heritage site by UNESCO. The building serves as both a museum and for its original purpose, an apartment complex. Apparently, Gaudi wanted the people who lived in the flats to all know each other. Therefore there were only lifts on every second floor so people had to communicate with one another on different floors. We waited in line for almost four hours to get into the building for free, but I thought that it was worth it.






The roof of the building was probably my overall favorite part because of the intricate structures and because I hadn't gotten a night view of Barcelona since my very first day in the city. There was a Bruce Springsteen concert going on at the 1992 Olympic Stadium, and we could see the lights from the concert.










 This structure looked like a ghost face to me.










The rest of the week until Wednesday was pretty uneventful other than starting The Hunger Games (I finished yesterday. Can't wait to get home and read the second one.) 

Wednesday was a really fun day, and, like I said in my Facebook status, very stereotypical of Barcelona. I went to class and then went to a pizza place we go to a lot called Mucci's with Lauren Benne, Sam, and Jenna. Then, I went to H&M to give Lauren an opinion of a swim suit she was considering buying. She ended up getting it. It is a really cute navy blue bikini. I ended up getting a 5 euro shirt there which I really like. After shopping, we both went back to our apartments to change into our swim suits. Then, we met at Barceloneta to go to the beach. After the beach, I came home and got ready to go to tapas. I wore the shirt that I bought that day at H&M. For those of you who don't know, tapas is a lot like appetizers, but you order a lot and share them with a group of people as dinner. Alberto ordered a lot of traditional tapas. My favorites were pan con tomate, artichokes, peppers, and (of course) patatas bravas.



After dinner, we went to a place called PaTapa to get dessert, although i didn't end up getting anything. Alejandra did let me try a bite of her chocolate cake though. It was really good. 

Yesterday I went to my last Catalan class probably of my life, finished The Hunger Games, went to my last lecture in my Don Quijote class, and went to a few bars and a club at night. I had a lot of fun because the club was playing hip hop music which I haven't heard a lot when I go out here.

Today, I went to brunch and a nearby town called Sitges. I will go into more details in my next blog post which will be all about my birthday weekend. 21 tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment