Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Eve

"What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more."


Today when I woke up I went to the Uptown Kitchen with my family. When we got there, we ran into the Jankowski family. It was wonderful to see them. We made plans to have dinner with them on Tuesday night and I can't wait to catch up on their lives. They have been such wonderful friends to us ever since I can remember and we are so blessed to know them.

After breakfast (french toast stuffed with chocolate and cream cheese), I went on a run. Then, I got ready to go to mass with my family. I saw a boy named Brian who has Downs Syndrome and who used to swim at Adams. I reintroduced myself to his mom and told them Merry Christmas. It was really great to see them as well.


 
After mass, we all came back to the house and sat in the living room until dinner was ready. We had a traditional Christmas Eve meal at our house and we were lucky enough to be joined by my grandma. There was ham, corn pudding, mashed potatoes, jello, rolls, and green beans. We all drank some wine and listened to Christmas music. It was nice to spend more time with my family.

 

My dad did an especially great job with the lights this year. Santa will be able to find our house tonight without any trouble at all. Speaking of Santa, one of my favorite things to do on Christmas Eve is to have Santa call my friends and family through G-Mail. Today, I had him call my mom, dad, sister, and boyfriend. I may get more enjoyment from it than they do, but I think its hilarious because he says such ridiculous things on the phone like calling my dad "Dude" or telling Jess and Jason that they're good dragon slayers.






 

On Christmas Eve in my family we also open presents from my grandma and give her presents. Tonight was a very special night for me and my sister because we got the last gift that my grandpa left for us before he passed away. He would always give us half dollars and two dollar bills when he was alive and he saved some so that we would have a Christmas present for him even after we passed away. It was really nice to get those things, and I don't think I'll ever spend them. We also got tool boxes and tools, gifts my grandpa would have loved seeing us get because he was so handy.

This time of year is the time of year that I realize how special the people in my life are and how blessed I am to have them. It's also a time when I can't help but think about the people that have made such a huge impact on my life that have passed away. Today was a special day to celebrate and remember Jeff and my grandpa, two of the greatest men that I have ever met.

God Bless and Merry Christmas Everyone.




No comments:

Post a Comment